Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Some good BBQ Chicken

I have been messing with BBQ chicken recipes and trying to get it as delicious as I can. It came out unusually well tonight, so here's the recipe:

- used 'chicken tenders' (breast strips), which aren't very thick
- marinated for about an hour in a small glass container with a sealed lid. shook it up a couple times.

marinade:
- about a 1/3 of a head of garlic, smashed and very finely chopped
- a big sprig of rosemary, very finely chopped.
- a couple shakes of garlic powder, pepper, and salt
- a big squirt of lemon juice from one of those squeezable bottles
- equal parts of these liquds (enough to to cover all of the chicken in the marinating container): olive oil, water, beer
- a dash of vinegar

I cooked it on a small charcoal barbeque. The coals were very hot- all completely red (I used one of those metal chimneys to light them, where you put some crumpled paper under it). The first side cooked really fast, then I spooned most of the remaining marinade onto the uncooked side of the chicken (taking care to get all of the garlic chunks), and flipped it over. Some of the marinade spilled on the coals, cooling them down, so the other side took longer to cook. I poured the little bit of remaining liquid form the marinade on this side, then covered the bbq and let it sit for a few minutes.

The chicken came out very moist, even though it still had plenty of darkened goodness. My previous chicken bbqs came out pretty dry, because I like it well done with darkened crispy stuff. I think what made it moist this time was using a lot of olive oil, cooking very fast at high temperature and using thin, small strips.

The flavor was good, although I was expecting it to taste more like rosemary, because I put a lot in. I guess rosemary becomes more mild when cooked. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this chicken recipe as much as I did.

Here's a picture of the left overs taken using the built in camera on my Macbook: